If Animal Control has shown up at your door:
1) First call an attorney before you say one single word to them, ask for a written copy of the complaint so that you can give it to your attorney. STEP OUTSIDE YOUR DOOR & CLOSE OR LOCK IT WHEN SPEAKING TO THEM
2) Second call your vet, & get your animals in there OR get your vet to the shelter IMMEDIATELY if they have taken them & get an emergency injunction to MAKE them allow the vet in there if they to refuse.
3) Third Read my Final Motion for Dismissal so you will know the tactics that you will be facing, the violations of your Federal & Civil Rights that are about to happen to you.
4) Immediately file a Motion to make sure that the Animal Control authorities can not euthanize your animals if they have been taken from you. If your animals are immediately murdered you will have no defense, & you will lose your precious pet. They can simply say “the animals were in such deplorable condition they had to be humanely euthanized” & you will have NO way to dispute that fact since they incinerate the animals after that
5) If they claim to want to “see” your animals meet them at your vet’s office, so that the vet can be a witness to the condition of your animals & so that they are less likely to be able to build a sham case against you. ALWAYS remember they need a warrant to come inside of your house, if they try to say things like “If you didn’t have anything to hide you would let us come in” Just tell them: This is America we have the constitutional right to be free from unreasonable searches & seizures. If you are comfortable with letting them in your home MAKE SURE YOU HAVE WITNESSES THERE AT THE TIME.
If animal Control has taken your animals
1) CALL AN ATTORNEY
2) Make sure to get a copy of the warrant with the Affidavit of Probable cause attached to it as well as an inventory sheet of what & whom they took
3) DO NOT SAY ANYTHING, even though you have not been arrested anything you say will be twisted & used against you. As a matter of fact most times people are not arrested so they do not have to Miranda you & they know you are in shock & will say anything to stop this from happening to your precious animals, that is what they are waiting for. If they are there taking your animals they have already made up their minds & they are taking them no matter what you say or do.
5) Gather all of your vet records, and all documentation concerning your animals.
6) Even if you can not afford an attorney go to your local office of public defense & do a screening & let them know what happened so they can do some damage control & they will be better able to represent you at trial. Most public defenders get a client AFTER the damage has been done & do the best they can with what they have, make it easier for both of you.
7) Gather as many of your friends & family as you can & get statements from everyone about how you care for your animals, even those around you: The mailman, your delivery people, neighbors (but keep in mind it might have been one of your neighbors who called) Also do NOT have friends, co-workers or family call the prosecutor to plea your case, they may have good intentions but anything THEY say can & will be used against you in a court of law. They are very adept at twisting things so if your sister says “Hey she takes her dogs to the vet all the time” it will work out to “She was so neglectful & abusive that her poor dogs spent most of their time at the vet’s”
8) Get out your digital camera & take pictures of everything they are doing, video would be helpful if you have it as well. You are well within your legal rights to videotape or take pictures of the events unfolding
9) READ YOUR LOCAL ANIMAL CONTROL LAWS!!! Some have provisions for returning the animals, but you must know if you are being charged with a state, city or county law, they will pick whichever one gets them a conviction.
10) If the media shows up… Shut your mouth & your door. Post no trespassing signs at your property line or door. Everything you say will be used against you in the “Court of Public Opinion” Animal abuse is akin to child molestation in the eyes of the public so no matter what you say it will be twisted, trust me, no one wants to hear your story, they have already convicted you in their minds, & any interviews will only be used to further persecute you. The courts can be swayed by public opinion as well so be very careful who you talk to about any aspect of your case. I got pissy with our local reporters who wouldn’t cover my story & they told me outright that if they did I would definitely lose, in my research to date I have found out this is very true.